Here at Allianz UK, everyone brings their own expertise and enthusiasm to work, to enable customers to make the right insurance decisions to meet their needs. We’re passionate about helping our customers and employees move on and up in life and business.
We nurture and invest in talent to ensure that great people build great careers with us. This role is based in our high net worth business unit - Home and Legacy Insurance Service Limited is one of the UK’s leading providers of high net worth personal lines insurance - unique in this space with our policies being underwritten by a panel of major insurers. We have been nominated for 4 consecutive years at Insurance Post’s Underwriting Service Awards for HNW Personal Lines Team of the Year. Home & Legacy Insurance Services Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Allianz Holdings plc.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within our London office for an experienced property underwriter to join the Underwriting & Markets team as Operational Underwriting Manager. Reporting to the Underwriting & Markets Director of Home & Legacy, the successful candidate will enjoy a role that offers great breadth, depth and responsibility. As a key member of our business, which has delivered consistent profitable growth over the past 5 years, the Operational Underwriting Manager will manage a team of senior technical underwriters, be part of the insurer relationship development and placement group, oversee the technical authority within H&L and own the household and landlord product suite.
Manage a team of 4 senior technical underwriters
Ensure complex cases are underwritten in accordance with the authority granted by insurers
Negotiate individual cases which fall outside this authority
Insurer relationship development
To deliver the highest level of underwriting authority from insurers
To ensure the widest cover and underwriting flexibility is available
Ensure the technical content of the household & landlord product suite is accurate and compliant
HNW product development & research
Manage the auditing and quality control process to achieve underwriting standards
Analyse new business opportunities generated through our sales & distribution team
Develop and deliver training workshops for staff to raise technical, business, relationship & professional standards and achieve outstanding trading results
Liaise with the claims team to review large losses providing underwriting expertise
Skills & Experience
• A thorough understanding of the UK high net worth insurance market plus wider knowledge of the personal lines market
• A superior knowledge of household high net worth risk underwriting
• Proven experience leading a technical team
• The ability to influence upwards and downwards as well as external stakeholders
• Excellent communication and negotiating skills
• Educated to degree or A level standard or equivalent
• ACII qualified or significant progress towards
• Self-motivated and results orientated with the confidence and ability to influence others.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with all stakeholders.
• Excellent analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills.
• Able to work under pressure and achieve deadlines both alone and with team
• A willingness to make decisions and be accountable.
• Be able to demonstrate a flexible and innovative way of working.
• Demonstrates excellent team working skills, supporting other team members.